Teacup Maltese Puppy or Dog
Poisons And Prevention
The category of "household products"
probably contains most of the non-drug substances that poison
animals throughout the country each year. This would include
insecticides designed to kill ants, fleas, termites, wasps,
etc., pesticides against rats, mice, gophers and other unwanted
pests, herbicides to kill weeds in our gardens, cleaners for our
homes and businesses, and ethylene glycol and fuel and other
petroleum products used in cars, heaters, and even lighters.
These are products, which are both widespread in use and
frequently highly toxic. The combination of being common and
deadly frequently results in a very dangerous situation for
household pets that share our homes, gardens and cars.
It is the toxic active ingredient in the substance the pet is
exposed to which will determine how much danger is present.
Therefore, it is critical in any case of potential poisoning to
find the container of the toxic substance and know the
ingredients when seeking advice or veterinary services.
All rat poisons are not alike and the same is true of ant
poisons, herbicides, flea products, etc. Different poisons may
require very different treatments and it is necessary to know
the active ingredient in a potential poison to know how to treat
an exposed animal and to give a reasonably accurate prognosis.
Ideally, the veterinarian should have the intact container with
the label when evaluating the toxic potential of the product.
Do you feed your Teacup Maltese puppy or dog raw meat and
uncooked bones? Raw eggs or chicken? Do they have easy access to
trash cans full of rotting garbage? Is your bird feeder within
snacking range? Each of these situations can spell salmonella
poisoning for your Teacup Maltese puppy or cat.
Salmonella, a group of about 2,000 related bacterial strains, is
found in all of the above situations and more. Better known as
"food poisoning," salmonella causes gastrointestinal infection
and can lead to terrible illness.
In addition, songbirds are a real threat to cats in the
north-eastern U.S., but dogs or Teacup Maltese puppies who
come in contact with either bird faeces or birdseed that has
been touched by the infected birds, are just as much at risk as
their feline counterparts. Animals who become carriers of the
bacteria spread it very easily to other animals and humans via
their faeces. Although susceptibility depends upon the animals'
immune system, the strength of the particular strain and the
amount ingested, salmonella in its slightest form is a very
painful infliction. Signs appear from 6-72 hours after the
poisoning and include:
Noticeable fever, Vomiting, Dehydration, Constant diarrhoea,
Weakness, Depression, Loss of appetite These signs must be
recognized and acted upon immediately to gain as much of an
early fight as possible. The animal may have to be quarantined
to avoid infecting other pets in the household.
Preventing salmonella poisoning includes:
The fresh taste of homegrown fruits and vegetables is worth
every moment spent doting on the garden. However, if your pets
or other wildlife happen get into that garden where you've
sprayed pesticides, you may unknowingly be harming more than
just the bugs. Marigold planting will repel many garden pests
such as beetles. Mice and moles will make themselves scarce if
you plant daffodil bulbs or garlic plants.
Flies and mosquitoes won't be a problem if you plant basil in
pots near your outdoor sitting areas. Spearmint will deter ants
from dwellings and patios.
Ladybugs, which can be purchased [at nurseries], will eat aphids
and make pesticides needless.
Erect bird houses in your garden to cut down on the number of
Wash counter tops, cabinets and floors with equal parts of
vinegar and water; or pour a line of cream of tartar at the
place where ants enter the house- they won't cross the line.
Strip old fruit from vines and trees to keep insects from laying
Flea and Tick Repellent:
Boil a pint of water and cool it. Add either a thinly sliced
lemon or one of a combination of herbs such as fennel, rue and
Let the mixture sit overnight. Spray or sponge onto your pet.
(Note: Good only for keeping fleas and ticks off of pets; will
not make these parasites leave pets once they are on them.)